Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 10: Abstaining

Today was a day of abstaining from a few things in the hopes that tomorrow will provide a relative feast. It was bonus egg day but I skipped it because I felt like I did not really need it. Also skipped my pasta so I could have another "double portion" tomorrow. Also skipped out on the cabbage in my stew, so I'll have a bit of a heartier lunch tomorrow. I think I'll need the boost tomorrow, as today was a bit of a struggle. I just did not have the time to adjust the standard menu, so it was a pretty ho-hum day on that front. It was also another day of thinking about other foods. The psychological effect is starting to kick in. I am resisting it, but I thought I should record that it is there. There's a real struggle there with thoughts such as "does anyone really care about this?" or "what's the point?" or "man this just stinks, what have I gotten myself into?" but I keep telling myself that I know there's a purpose, and I know this is making a real impact. Even if it's just the spiritual benefits of denying my flesh and being a better steward of my resources to benefit the orphans, it's worth it. 

At Peace Gospel we often quote James 1:27 in citing a purpose behind our desire to reach out to orphans and widows. It reads... 

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. 

People tend to quote the first part of that verse because the second part at first glance seems kind of out of place. But the more I think about it, and as I think about it now during this "fast" of sorts, there seems to be a direct correlation there. By keeping ourselves from the pollution of this world (e.g. the deceitfulness of riches and excess) we can better look after orphans and widows in their distress. 

Today I don't have any photos of my food, as there was not really anything interesting to capture today. Instead, I'll share with you a photo that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I don't know these kids' names, but their faces are etched in my memory. Their shanty home had just been bulldozed by the police along with scores of other homes in this slum area in Chennai. The space behind them is where their home once stood. The photo speaks for itself...


Prayer focus: Let's just pray for these two little kids in the photo. They are nameless in our minds, but God knows them intimately. 

Estimated Savings for Day 10: Today was so busy I probably would have grabbed breakfast and lunch out. Breakfast, probably Starbucks: hot tea and a breakfast sandwich for $3.99. For lunch, something quick like Murphy's Deli. You gotta love their muffalettas. I think a combo meal there costs about $6.99. Add that to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I'm at $16.98 saved up for my orphanage donation today. My running total is now up to $146.79 in just 10 days. 

4 comments:

  1. Haunting picture. They're in my prayers.

    And for the record, what you're doing matters.

    (No matter what your hunger delirium tries to tell you.)

    Thanks for chronicling this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Kirby;
    As I read your blog this moring I am touched by your honesty...alot of Christians wont admit when they are struggling or have doubts...part of the process of being human and working out our salvation...What you are doing is trying to raise awareness...my awareness is raised to levels it has not been before..I am inspired to pray for orphans, I think about them daily and am moved to do more...God is formalating a plan in me and I'm not sure but how but with God's help I am going to pledge to raise support for 30 orphans on a monthly basis...one for each day...I dont do this to bring glory to myself or to make you like me...we dont even know each other..but that Jesus Christ the most important person of all time,my best friend, my King would be glorified...and that the world would know God loves them...Bless you Kirby and keep overcoming evil with good!!!

    Audie Morris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirby, thank you for pressing on...it does make a difference. I'm sure this journey is affecting others more than you know, and like you said, yourself. Even just last night, Steven and I were talking about how to drastically cut our budget, and I was ashamed of the things I didn't want to give up. Even when we try to live simply, there is so much excess we have. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete