Thursday, April 16, 2009

Day 18: Egg Fried Rice Revolution

If my little world had its own newspaper, today's headline would have been Egg Fried Rice Revolution Has Begun. It turns out that I have a pretty good portion of the ingredients needed for this classic dish: rice, eggs, cabbage, carrots, and seasoning! (Thank you Andrea for the aha! moment). My execution was not that great, but it tasted out of this world anyway. Again I've proven that anyone can stumble their way through cooking, especially if you're hungry. I also cut a corn tortilla into triangles, basted them with a touch of melted vegetable oil spread, seasoned them, and then baked them in the toaster oven. The kids were amazed that daddy can now make tortilla chips that taste better than the usual brand-name standards. I also thought of adding pasta shells to my soup at dinner, and that added a welcome new texture to the soup experience. I managed to capture a shot of the egg fried rice and the tortilla chips... Cost of Egg Fried Rice: 25 cents. 8 Tortilla chips with seasoning: 3 cents...



Prayer focus: Pray for the girls of Nepal, especially those in vulnerable situations such as those orphaned. They are widely trafficked for the Indian and Middle East sex industry which is a terrible evil. There are an estimated 250,000 in India (mainly Mumbai & Delhi) where they are terribly abused; 60-70% are HIV positive and few will reach 25 years. Pray that the Peace Gospel orphanage in Nepal would be fully funded with the ability to reach many of these girls before they are enslaved. 

Estimated Savings for Day 18: Just for fun, I'm going to say I would have been over to an old favorite spot for lunch today, Texadelphia on Westheimer. Their chicken cheesesteak sandwich with special mustard blend sauce is, well, something I'm craving at the moment. Not to mention they have the best queso in town. With a drink and tip I think this would have set me back about $9.00. I met a friend at Starbucks today, and I would have likely spent my usual $1.60 on a cup of hot tea there. Add this to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I've got $16.60 saved for my donation to the orphanage today. My running total is now at $277.81. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I miss Texadelphia! That mustard sauce...well, now my mouth is watering.

    Your fried rice actually looks REALLY good!

    ReplyDelete