Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 16: Souping it Up

Today was another day toward acclimation that overall went pretty well. I went with oatmeal in the morning again, without a breakfast taco. I enjoyed the pretend fish tacos again for lunch. But then I hit one out of my little ballpark with a new soup. I'm calling it Spicy Bean & Rice Potato Noodle Tortilla Soup. It's very filling and thanks to the chili flavoring from the Hot Chili Ramen, it's got a nice zing to it. I took a corn tortilla, sliced it into strips and baked it until crisp, and topped the soup with that and of course what else but Season-All. Just using my daily ration, it made a hearty portion, so much so that I had a little leftover. Best part, the cost was only 28 cents! Photographed for your unbelieving eyes:



Prayer focus: Pray for India's 10 million blind. They represent over a quarter of the world's total blind. Few have learned the Braille script, nor are there many materials in Braille in Indian languages. Pray for the completion of a Braille Bible and Braille education. At present there are some books of the Bible available in nine languages, but none have the whole Bible.

Estimated Savings for Day 16: Today was  a busy day on a "staff development" retreat with my church staff. So this morning I would have likely been in my usual busy routine of getting kids out the door and on my way to the day-long event. I probably would have grabbed breakfast at Chick-fil-a for about $2.99. Lunch was a part of the deal today (but of course I brought my own pretend fish tacos), so I would not have spent any money on lunch. Add that to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I come up with $8.99 saved for my orphanage donation today. My running total is now at $245.61.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative soup name! Why are there so many blind in India?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure exactly, but I think a big part of it is just the sheer massiveness of India's population. At over 1.1 Billion, this makes 10 million people only 0.9% of the total population. I'm not sure what the comparable rate is in other developing nations, but probably not much lower than that.

    ReplyDelete