Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 13: The Incredible, Edible Egg

I don't have much time to blog today as I've been busy with many family activities, but I wanted to spend a moment on the amazing bounty of the chicken egg. As you might have already noted, I bought my 3 dozen eggs for $0.99/dozen. This puts each egg at a cost of 8.25 cents. Now check out the photo below, and marvel at what just 8.25 cents produces (this is from breakfast, I scrambled the egg and cooked it omelet-style)...


Today went OK... The hardest part is being around feast-like foods... We went over to Brett's parents' home for an Easter egg hunt and tons of food... sitting it out was a challenge. But I just tried to keep focused on serving the kids and making a lot of conversation and that seemed to keep my mind off of the cornucopia. Day 13 is under my belt, 17 to go! I think my stomach is proverbially "shrinking" ... I took less rice and beans tonight. Or, might be burn-out setting in, just diminishing my craving for the same common denominators every night. 

Prayer focus: Pray today for the several widows currently enrolled in our widow's seamstress business school. Pray that they would grasp the concepts and feel empowered and equipped to begin their new businesses. Also pray that God would bring them the local respect and the customers they need to get their businesses off the ground successfully. 

Estimated Savings for Day 13: Today would not likely have included any eating out, but might have solicited a run to the local coffeehouse, where I would have had some chai for about $2. Add that to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I've got $8.00 I saved for my donation to the orphanage today. This puts my running total at $182.37 in just 13 days. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the eggs! Wow, I didn't realize you were abstaining also from meals others gave you. That makes sense though. Happy Easter to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete