Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 23: Refried Bean Chimichangas

I stumbled upon another delicious improv recipe today. I followed a basic refried bean recipe to make about one cup of refried beans with my vegetable oil spread and Season-All. I then melted some vegetable oil spread and brushed that on the front and back of two corn tortillas while the oven was preheating to 500 degrees. I placed the refried beans down the middle of each tortilla, rolled the tortilla up and turned them over (seam-side down) on a baking sheet. I then baked them for 8 minutes. The tortillas cracked a bit, but the taste really blew me away. I was managing my expectations, but these refried bean chimichangas really were delicious. My son Noah can testify- it passed his "awesomeness" test. I added some reheated brown rice and it felt like a complete meal! Best part... this meal cost only 21 cents!


For lunch I did a repeat on the Spicy Egg Drop Noodle Soup, but added cabbage. Still loving it. Did oatmeal for breakfast, and had one of my remaining oat raisin bars for a snack. Not feeling much hunger at all today! But drinking plenty of water is the trick. Tomorrow I will have a double portion of potatoes and carrots. I've got an African recipe involving oven roasted potatoes and eggs, I might try that mixed with roasted carrots tomorrow.

Prayer focus: Pray for our dairy farm and its staff in India. Pray for the productivity and health of our water buffalo cows and the health and safety of our native team there. Pray that more funds would become available to purchase more water buffaloes. We rely on the milk sales to provide for much of our orphanage budget. 

Estimated Savings for Day 23: I'm not sure where, but I likely would have eaten lunch out with friends. Might have spent about $8.50. Also would not be surprised if I had stopped by Fioza for a cup of hot tea and a cinnamon raisin scone for about $4. Add this to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I saved $18.50 toward my orphanage donation today. My running total is now up to $355.31. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks really tasty! I love how you've entered full-blown creativity mode now with your posts. It's definitely been eye-opening for us too on our own 30 day challenge, just not getting to buy the things we're "craving" and having to be resourceful with what's in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete