Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 8: Them Belly Full but We Hungry

Tonight I've got an old Bob Marley tune in my head, Them Belly Full but We Hungry. The morning started out great with a new breakfast taco recipe I threw together, but as the day moved along, things got a little harder. It started with the stew. With my $30, I bought a few different Ramen flavors, thinking the variety would be a good idea. Not so much. The chicken flavor is just not that great with my ingredients. It was pretty bland. But I love the hot chili flavor, so I took my chicken and beef flavors back to H.E.B. today and exchanged them for the hot chili flavor. Even 1/3 of the little flavoring pack gets my sinuses cleared. Amazing, you can really feel it. And I really missed it when I switched over to the chicken flavor. Then I guess cooking for my kids was a bit of a challenge tonight. The chips and salsa they were gorging on was really tough to get my mind off of. They also got flour tortillas and queso, man it looked delicious. But I did skip my corn tortilla at lunch so I could have two at dinner time, and that was nice. Day 8 I think will mark the day where I really started craving other foods. But overall things are going well. I'm 26.6% of the way done! 8 down, 22 to go! Here's a photo of my new breakfast taco. I borrowed some pinto beans from dinner to make a bean & scrambled egg taco, topped of course with what else but some mouth-watering Season-All. It was a very welcome change-up to my morning menu from the past few days. Best part about it... cost: 15 cents.


Prayer focus: Pray today for Pastor Samson's wife, Prabhukumari. Her father just passed away a few days back and she is having a rough time with the loss. Pastor Samson is our India Director. His wife Prabhukumari serves in the ministry so selflessly and tirelessly. She is a mother to many and a strong pillar at our India orphanage. The orphans love her and call her the equivalent of "mommy." So in a sense, our orphans have lost their grandfather (he frequently visited the orphanage) and are of course sad about this. Pray for all of them. 

Estimated Savings for Day 8: On Mondays I usually take one of our younger kids to Chick-fil-a for lunch. It did not happen today but I think it was because I needed to be home to cook my lunch. I would have enjoyed my usual combo meal there for about $5.98. I also might have stopped by the neighborhood coffeehouse, Fioza, where I would have purchased a hot cup of chai tea and one of their homemade raisin cinnamon scones (which are out of this world) for about $4 total. Add in my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual food cost, and I end up with $15.98 saved for my rapidly-accumulating donation to the orphanage today. My running total is now at $112.21 in just 8 days. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks good... and great job... you should take a picture of before and after (of you)... to show your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friend. Great job on this one... if that's okay to say. We'll be praying for you and for India during this time. Glad I stumbled onto the blog. Love from our family to yours!
    Ali Seay

    ReplyDelete