Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 11: Passover Feast

Today was Passover. So I had a bit of a feast, relatively speaking. I had a double portion of cabbage in my lunchtime stew, which was delicious actually, thanks to that amazing Hot Chili Ramen flavoring. I've stopped chopping up my cabbage, instead I just tear it up into big portions, and that makes a difference in the stew experience, believe it or not. Dinner was amazing, I had my bonus egg and my extra pasta saved from yesterday's abstinence. Here's a photo of dinner (cost: 41 cents):


In keeping with the feast theme, I also added another ingredient to my breakfast taco, right when I thought I had maxed it out. A little brown rice went a long way in adding yet another layer of variety to the breakfast taco standard. So now I've got an egg-rice-bean-and-potato breakfast taco! (It was filling enough that I moved my oatmeal with raisins & sunflower seeds to snack-time, yet another variety enhancer). Here's a photo of the latest breakfast taco creation, still under 20 cents:


Prayer focus: Pray for Fatima and Bhojari, two "ragpickers" featured in this story about life in the New Delhi slums. What's particularly interesting is that the story breaks down Bhojari's food expenses from that day. He made $2 selling items of value he found in the trash. From that, he had to buy food for his family for that day. (Keep in mind this is a Canadian story, so the dollars are Canadian, which are worth about $0.80 US). 

Estimated Savings for Day 11: I would have likely eaten out today for lunch, probably at my usual destination when nothing else is going on: Sri Balaji Bhavan. It's hard to even write about it without my mouth watering, but I might have enjoyed some Chola Batura with Puri, and maybe some lemon rice with curd, and of course a cup of their very authentic chai. Would have run me about $8. I might have met a friend at Starbucks where I would usually grab a hot tea of some kind for about $1.60. Add that to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I've saved $15.60 for my orphanage donation today. My running total is now up to $162.39. 

1 comment:

  1. One other idea for a bonus egg day is to stir it into some of your ramen broth for an egg drop soup, if you like that sort of thing.

    I meant to comment yesterday but never got a chance to really sit at the computer. I hope you were encouraged by the other comments and I would like to echo their sentiments. What you are doing absolutely matters. You are giving up a lot at once, so it's normal that you would have doubts and feel discouraged and I'm glad you shared that part.

    I was also particularly struck by the verse you shared. Throughout time and in different denominations, Christians have tended to focus on one or the other aspects of that verse - social justice or personal holiness, as if they are separate. But the teachings of Christ are certain that they are intimately connected and when we try to divorce them we run into a lot of the problems we see in our churches and in society at large today. As Lent has drawn to a close, it's important to keep it all in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete