Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 9: Pushing the Envelope on the Breakfast Taco

I added about an ounce of potatoes to my breakfast taco this morning, at cost of only 3 cents, giving my new breakfast taco a price tag of 18 cents. Since I already cook my lunch in the morning most weekdays, I already had the potatoes ready for the Ramen Noodle Stew, so I just borrowed half the amount from there for the taco. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but again, it's amazing what changing up one ounce of your meal can do when you're on this kind of regimen. The flavor impact was substantial, and that's what I'm craving these days-- flavors that take me away from the common denominators of my ingredients: rice, beans, oatmeal. I took a photo to capture the moment:


Yesterday, in search of ways to mix things up, I skipped my 1/3 cup of pasta knowing that I would enjoy the bonus of a 2/3 cup serving tonight. And I was right. Again, it was nice to have a separate side dish to dinner that was substantial. I also got two teaspoons of tomato sauce with the double portion of pasta. Topped off with a few dashes from my $0.99 Season-All, it hit the spot. I am a bit worried, though, as my 8 oz. can of tomato sauce is already about half empty on day 9. Might be having some dry pasta by day 20. Cost of my double-portion dish of pasta: 11 cents. With my pinto beans, brown rice and two corn tortillas at 22 cents, dinner came out to a total of 33 cents. 

Prayer focus: Pray for Christians in the Orissa State of India. In August 2008, widespread and unprecedented mob violence against Christians erupted in Orissa state following the assassination of World Hindu Council (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati. Although Maoists claimed responsibility for the leader’s murder, Hindu militants continued to use it as a pretext to attack Christians throughout the state, burning Christians’ homes, shops, churches and killing believers. Militants throughout the country were emboldened by the violence and launched attacks on believers in over 12 states. Thousands of Christians were forced to flee their homes for government relief camps, where militants used violence and intimidation in an attempt to force them to deny Christ and convert to Hinduism. (details provided by persecution.net)

Estimated Savings for Day 9: Today I likely would have eaten lunch out with my fellow staff members at my church. We tend to frequent a place called Terlingua's on Bellaire Blvd. Their lunch menu is not exactly budget oriented, so with tip I likely would have spent about $10. Add to that a likely stop at either Fioza or Starbucks for a hot tea, and I add another $1.60. Add that to my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract $1 for today's actual cost, and I come up with $17.60 saved toward my growing donation to the orphanage. My running total is now at $129.81 in just 9 days. This represents more than 4 months' wages among the poor of South Asia. 

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kirby, I finally got a chance to read your blog and catch up with what you are doing exactly. This is awesome! You are doing an amazing thing. Hang in there. -Jen Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirby, your meticulousness (is that a word?) about the portion calculations reminds me of our time at Grassroots. Definitely a gift of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kirby, Thanks for letting us follow along. I just wanted to throw out an idea or two on flavor change up. Have you considered cooking your egg differently, such as doing it over-easy or hard boiled? Also, you could cut up your corn tortilla into wedges and put it in the oven on like 475 for a few minutes to make it chip like.

    I'm impressed with all that you've done so far! I feel bad that the butter idea didn't work out, but all in all it seems like you're getting by ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andrea! I have switched up the way I'm frying my eggs, and you're right, that is really helpful. I'm not a big fan of hard boiled eggs but I might try that as I become more and more desperate for variety. The vegetable oil spread sticks ("butter") still come in handy on the frying of the eggs. Thanks for reading along! Good idea on the tortillas, I might try that- might be good in the stew, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kirby! I was thinking you might be able to stretch out your tomato sauce by thinning it a bit--at first I thought of just adding water, but I bet adding some of the bean juice that you add to the stew would taste even better and be heartier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirby, is truly INSPIRING and CONVICTING. Thank you! - Tana

    ReplyDelete