Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 5: Bonus Egg Day

Day 5 was an eventful day in my little eating world. Dinner turned out to be a relative feast because of two things. One, I did not have time to cook rice for the stew today, so I got to move that half-cup of brown rice to dinner. Secondly, due to the fact that I started with 36 eggs, I get to have a "bonus egg" every fifth day! So tonight I had a "rice, egg and beans" taco. It was delicious! Having that kind of variety on my 5th dinner was equivalent to a steak dinner at Taste of Texas. I know I'll read this some day and be like huh? But anyway that's the way I feel about it today. It hit me on my way home that it was Bonus Egg Day, and I started getting excited. Crazy what a little variety will do for one's psyche when found in a mundane routine. I was in such a hurry to eat it that the thought of taking a photo of the special dish did not even cross my mind. Maybe I'll remember on day 10. Already looking forward to that. I have another "bonus day" up my sleeve I'll let you know about later. Can you guess what it is?

Prayer focus: Pray for the believers who gather at the Bethel House of Prayer in Chennai. This is a tiny little shack of a church right in the middle of a large slum area. Below is one photo from this area, but you can find a link to more of them under my links list at right. 


Estimated Savings for Day 5: I definitely would have been back at Sri Balaji Bhavan today, probably for some of their amazing samosas, a serving of lemon rice, and a cup of the most authentic chai you will ever taste in Houston. This would have run me about $8. Add in my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract today's actual cost of $1, and I've come up with $14 saved for the orphanage today. My running total is now at $74.68 in just 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment