Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 4: Absent Minded, but Thankful

Today I really started to notice something going on with my brain -- I've heard the term "not getting enough brain food"-- now I understand. I left my planner at the office this evening. For those of you who know me, I take that thing everywhere, never let it leave my sight kind of a thing. Then I was supposed to pick up my son from his Speech Meet practice after school. I got home and Brett was like "Where's Noah?" I'm like "what?" Enough said. It was a challenging day. 

However, on the food front, today was a bonus day of sorts. On day 1, I cooked enough brown rice for 4 days. I had measured it out so that I had an estimated 1.5 cups (cooked) for each of those 4 days. Well tonight I got to dinner time and there was almost 2 cups, and I had already used a half cup in my stew at lunch! The revelation stage is really starting to hit me at this point, folks. If I can eat this much food (granted the lack of variety) just imagine what I could do with $60! 

Another thing I've noticed is what a difference it's making to have just a tiny slice of lemon in my water bottle all day. When I get to the bottom of the bottle, the lemon juice is concentrated down there, and it's like a little dessert or something. I never thought I would appreciate a little lemon juice so much! I'm starting to appreciate smaller blessings previously unnoticed!


Prayer focus: Pray again today for the Indian government leaders, that they would resist growing pressures to pass discriminatory 'anti-conversion' laws, legalize and favor extremist Hindu organizations, restrict foreign funds and buildings for minorities, and limit press freedoms for those who protest.

Estimated Savings for Day 4: It's kind of funny trying to think of what "normal" food I would have bought today. All sorts of cravings start coming to mind. But I do love a quick run to Chick-fil-a for lunch, so let's just say I might have grabbed a chicken sandwich combo, on a golden wheat bun with extra pickles (yes!), I think that would probably run me about $5.98. I might have met a friend at Starbucks, where I usually get a tall hot green tea for about $1.60. Add in my normal estimated daily grocery cost of $7, subtract today's actual cost of $1, and I'm looking at $13.58 saved for my donation to the orphanage today. 

My running total of estimated funds saved from my first 4 days is at $60.68, about two months' wages among the poor of South Asia. 

3 comments:

  1. Keep on keepin' on! I love your lemon revelation. Steven and I are doing something of our own for 30 days - no grocery shopping or eating out. We have to eat whatever we have here in the house already, or only stuff we can get from local farms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rocks Christine! Way to go! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying reading these blog entries, impressed by what you're doing! I know what you mean about lemons, though. I've come to truly appreciate certain fruits on my restricted medical diet. To me, the perfect salad dressing is lemon juice and/or olive oil. We are praying!

    ReplyDelete